Monday, August 18, 2008

A Song Comes Unbidden

Just a regular blog post here. If you've ever written songs or otherwise tried to create art, you know that there's the initial inspiration, then you sit down and suffer through the creation of the song (essay, book, painting, whatever) structure, and then you start to have fun again as you have a mostly-formed song and you get to play withthe fussy bits.

The really lucky and brilliant songwiters out there say that sometimes a song jus tcomes intotheir heads, fyully or mostly formed. Kind of like what happened to Adam Duritz with A Long December.

That happened to me on the drive back to Chicago the week before last. and now it's sitting there brewing and getting better and better. I think I might try to record it sometime this week. It's called 'Til I Can Take Eleanor There. I think it's going to be the first fully complete tune for Songs From the Sheffield. And I think it'll make a great submission for the MacDowell residency.

This just doesn't happen to me. I'm really excited about it. No pictues or other stuff with this post. I need to just go into the studio with a lot of Diet Coke and lock the door behind me.

But I wanted to tell you guys about it.

No comments: